Pneumoconiosis etc – Workers’ Compensation Act 1979

Focus on Disability - For Disabled People, the Elderly and their Carers in the UK

If you have a dust-related disease, you may be entitled to a one-off lump-sum payment. You must be unable to claim damages from your employers who caused the disease because they have ceased trading. Find out more and how to claim.

Who is eligible

Jobcentre Plus may pay you a lump sum if you have one of the following diseases:

  • pneumoconiosis

  • byssinosis

  • diffuse mesothelioma

  • bilateral diffuse pleural thickening

  • primary carcinoma of the lung when accompanied by asbestosis or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening

To get a payment under this scheme you must meet all the following conditions:

  • your dust-related disease must have been caused by your employment
  • you are getting Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit for one of the listed diseases
  • you can’t or haven’t taken civil action because your former employer has stopped trading
  • you have not brought a court action or received compensation from an employer in respect of the disease

If you’re the dependant of someone who suffered from a dust-related disease but who has died, you may be able to make a claim.

When to apply

If you’re suffering from a dust-related disease

You should apply as soon as you think you are suffering from a disease covered by the Act. If you have claimed Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit but have not had a decision yet, you should still apply straight away.

If you’re the dependant of someone who has died

You should apply as soon as you are aware that the deceased had suffered from a disease covered by the Act. There is no need to wait for a decision about a claim for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. If you are time barred from claiming Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit you should still apply.

How much you can get

The amount of money you may get depends on both of the following:

  • how old you were when the disease was first diagnosed
  • how disabled you are

If you are claiming as the dependant of a sufferer who has died you will be paid a lower rate.

For more information about the lump sum rates please contact the Barrow Industrial Injuries Benefit Delivery Centre. The contact details are below.

Benefit rates

How it is paid

The lump sum is paid into your bank, building society, Post Office® or National Savings account that accepts Direct Payment.

Effect on other benefits

If you get a lump-sum payment, it may affect other benefits you get if they depend on how much savings you have.

To find out more, contact the office that pays your benefit if you get:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • benefit because you are on a low income

How to claim

For more information and to get a claim form, please contact:

Barrow Industrial Injuries Benefit Delivery Centre
PWC Team
Jobcentre Plus
Barrow IIDB Centre
Pittman Way
PR11 2AB

Telephone: 0800 279 2322

A textphone service is available if you have a speech or hearing impairment.

Textphone: 01977 464144

If you are not eligible to get a payment under the 1979 Act scheme then you may still be eligible to get an award under the 2008 Diffuse Mesothelioma Scheme. For example, if you did not develop mesothelioma through your work, but from another route, such as coming into contact with family who were contaminated with asbestos, then you may be eligible to a 2008 Scheme payment.