Disabled Parking – Countries Outside Europe

Focus on Disability - For Disabled People, the Elderly and their Carers in the UK

A Guide to disabled parking abroad in countries outside Europe using your Blue Badge

See also:
Disabled parking in European countries (EEC)

The Blue Badge Scheme

There are no reciprocal parking agreements for disabled people in countries outside Europe (EEC). It’s up to the authorites in other countries to accept your Blue Badge or not.

Countries on this page:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Cyprus
  • Guernsey
  • Gibraltar
  • Isle of Man
  • Israel
  • Jersey
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • South Africa
  • USA

Some of the concessions available in other countries.

The design of badges differs in the various towns and cities of certain countries outside the European Union and you should read the following information for the arrangements that apply in the country, or countries, you intend to visit carefully.


Disabled travel in Australia:

The demand for information on travel for people with disabilities has never been greater. To participate independently in community life, including the enjoyment of travel, people with disabilities need barrier-free environments. This includes seemingly simple requirements such as easy access to public transport, buildings and footpaths, and thoughtfully designed facilities and services from airports to accommodation.By international standards, Australia offers quite good access for people with disabilities. Many of the hotels, restaurants, cinemas, theatres and shops in Australia’s major cities have facilities for those with disabilities although not all of them cater for people in wheelchairs. It is advisable to give advance notice wherever possible to ensure the best possible assistance.

Car parking:
Most public car parking stations have dedicated parking spots for disabled drivers, clearly identified by the international disabled sign. The bays are close to ramps and lifts and are generally wider than the regular parking spaces. The use of disabled parking bays is closely monitored and heavy fines apply to unauthorised users. In order to use disabled parking, you must obtain a temporary disabled parking permit.Regulations regarding disabled parking permits (DPP) vary from state to state. Generally the following procedures apply:International visitors:Bring your overseas permit with you.

Overseas permits may be used in Queensland, Australian Capital Territory (Canberra), Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

In New South Wales, application may be made for a temporary permit at any Roads and Traffic Authority office.

In Victoria, a temporary permit for a holder of an overseas parking permit may be arranged before arrival through VicRoads. Apply at least one month before arrival by facsimile or by post, enclosing a copy of your overseas permit together with the dates you will be in Australia and address when first arriving in Victoria.

A temporary permit issued in New South Wales or Victoria will be recognised throughout Australia.
Visitors are advised to contact the relevant authorities for information well in advance of travel:

New South Wales:
Roads and Traffic Authority , Mobility Parking Scheme, GPO Box K198, Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: +61 2 9218 6670 (Freecall within Australia: 13 22 13)

Vic Roads (VR), Traffic & Road User Management Dept, Disabled Person’s Parking Scheme, 60 Denmark Road, Kew VIC 3101
Tel: +61 3 9854 2666
Fax: +61 3 9854 2918
Always remember to:
Make sure your permit will not expire during your travel.
Display your permit as in your home state/country.

Parking permits do not authorise vehicles to park in loading zones, bus zones, no-stopping zones and the like.
Most parking permit applications must be completed in part by a doctor or accompanied by a valid doctor’s certificate that clearly states the nature of disability.
A fee of $A10-$A15 usually applies

Car hire:
Some companies supply vehicles fitted with hand controls. Inform the company well in advance about the nature of a disability so that special arrangements can be made. Standard hire vehicles can be fitted with devices such as hand controls.
The following is a sample of car-hire companies that can provide suitable vehicles:Avis Australia
Level 2
15 Bourke Road
Mascot NSW 2020
Tel: +61 2 9353 9000
Fax: +61 2 9353 9100

Budget Rent a Car
128 Jolimont Road
(P O Box 68)
East Melbourne
VIC 3002
Tel: +61 3 9206 3333
Fax: +61 3 9206 3636

Norden Transport
60-62 Bennet Street
Dandenong VIC 3175
Tel: +61 3 9793 1066
Fax: +61 3 9794 5840

Disability information providers:
There is at least one disability information service in each state/territory, providing general information free of charge. These service providers supply information on equipment, services and support available within their geographical region.National organisations such as NICAN (information on recreation, tourism, sport and the arts) and ACROD (the national industry association for disability services) provide information on access, services providers, carers and facilities for the disabled.

P O Box 407
Curtin ACT 2605
Tel: +61 2 6285 3713
Fax: +61 2 6285 3714

33 Thesiger Court
Deakin ACT 2600
Tel: +61 2 6282 4333
Fax: +61 2 6281 348

Further information on a wide variety of issues, from public transport information to equipment hire are available from the Australian Tourist Commission’s web site at https://www.australia.com (under the ‘special interests’ menu) or by calling 09068 633 235 (please note that calls to this line cost 60 pence per minute).


The concessions and design of badges vary from province to province. We recommend that disabled visitors take their badges with them when they visit and check with the appropriate authorities in the areas they intend to visit to see whether their badges will be recognised. For further information on Canada, you can contact:The Visit Canada Centre
PO Box 5396
Northants NN1 2FA
Tel: 09068 715 000Disabled visitors can also obtain further information from:The Canadian Automobile Association
1145 Hunt Club Road,
Suite 200, Ottawa,
Canada KIV OY3


There are no reciprocal arrangements with Cyprus. We suggest you take your badge with you when you visit and enquire locally about any concessions that may apply. You may also be able to obtain further information from the following address: Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance
Service for the Care and Rehabilitation of the Disabled.
Byron Avenue
1463 Lefkosia (Nicosia)
Republic of Cyprus


Disabled visitors can obtain a temporary parking permit from the police station on production of evidence confirming their disability. This permit allows parking for up to 2 hours (between 8am and 10pm) in parking places reserved for disabled people.


A disc parking clock for disabled people (obtained from the police, Tourist Information Centres, Traffic Committee or car ferries) must be displayed indicating the time of arrival. UK badge holders may occupy:parking spaces reserved for disabled people (no time limit); and
half-hour and one hour disc parking places for periods not exceeding 2 hours.
Parking on yellow lines is not permitted.Further details can be obtained from:States of Guernsey
Traffic Committee
PO Box 145
Bulwer Avenue
St Sampson’s
Tel: 01481 243 400

Isle of Man

UK badge holders may park: Either on-street or in a car park in places reserved for disabled people – these are clearly marked with the international wheelchair symbol;
In disc parking zones badge holders must display their time of arrival using a parking disc, but they may park for double the specified time; and
Badge holders are not permitted to park in places where parking is prohibited by a specific sign or road marking.


There are no formal reciprocal arrangements with Israel as we are not aware of the provision of any facilities for disabled people.


UK badge holders may park:in any disabled parking area specially set aside on-street, for up to a maximum of 4 hours (a parking disc must be displayed);
for an unlimited time in any public parking space in a public car park; and
for up to a maximum of 2 hours using a normal paycard on any on-street parking area in the 20 minute (yellow) or 1 hour (red) zones.
Full details of the scheme operating in Jersey are contained in a leaflet available from the Town Hall, St. Helier, Jersey, Tel: 01534 811811.


No reciprocal arrangements exist with Monaco but designated disabled spaces in car parks can be used by UK badge holders. We therefore suggest you take your badge with you when you visit Monaco.

New Zealand

The New Zealand Crippled Children Society (CCS) has operated Operation Mobility – a nation-wide parking scheme for disabled people – since 1977. Visitors to New Zealand are entitled to use Operation Mobility parking concessions while on holiday or business. A temporary card can be obtained from any CCS Branch in New Zealand by showing either a doctor’s certificate or your UK badge. A card will then be issued for the length of your stay in New Zealand. We suggest you take your badge with you when you visit New Zealand and make further enquiries locally.

South Africa

In South Africa, the rules and regulations vary between different areas. We recommend that you take your badge with you to South Africa and check with the authorities in the area you intend to visit to see whether your badge is recognised.


Apart from the other information here please read the letter I gratefully received from a disabled traveller in the USA outlining his experience..

Hi David,I’ve just returned from a year’s travelling and driving in the US. I am disabled and found that simply dropping an email to the local driving authority for whatever state I was in – enquiring as to whether I could use my blue badge or not – every time resulted in a yes response from those concerned. The only such email I can still find in my email account is from Massachusetts but I know that Washington State, Oregon and California all definitely responded the same way. I also travelled extensively in Idaho, Wyoming, Montanam Colorado, Maine and in Canada in British Columbia, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. In none of these places did I ever receive a parking ticket for using a disabled bay.I like the reassurance of dropping the local driving authority a line first as if I ever then received a ticket I would simply return the ticket with a copy of the email and say that I had been authorised to use the bay.Not sure if you can include any of this on your great site. Just thought you may like to hear one person’s experiences.Kind regards,C R

A list of all US motor vehicle state offices for advice on mobility issues is available at webpage:
We understand there is no national system of parking concessions for disabled people and that most States operate their own individual schemes. The type of badges used and the concessions provided are not standardised and vary considerably. We also understand that it is entirely at the discretion of the authorities in each State as to whether or not disabled motorists’ badges issued in other countries are recognised, or indeed whether a local temporary badge can be issued. Whilst our information is that most States do their best to accommodate disabled visitors from the UK, they are not obliged to do so.In the meantime, if you are planning a visit to the USA you may find it useful to contact an organisation such as: The American Automobile Association
1000 AAA Drive MS no. 20
Heathrow, Florida
FL32746-5043 USA
Tel: +1 (407) 444 8036Alternatively you may find the following numbers useful:

Visit USA Association
0891 600 530

US Travel & Tourism Administration
09069 101 020

US Embassy
020 7499 9000

UK badges are not valid for use in Florida. However, if your badge is presented to any county tax collector’s office, along with some form of photographic identification, such as a passport, a 90-day temporary permit will be issued for a fee of $15.