Through the Warm Home Discount Scheme, energy companies are able to offer eligible households who may struggle with their energy bills a discount on their winter electricity bill.
What you’ll get
For winter 2018 to 2019, you could get £140 off your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme.
The money isn’t paid to you – it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill between October 2018 and April 2019.
Not everyone gets the discount – check if you qualify.
Pre-pay or pay-as-you-go meters
You can also qualify for the discount if you use a pre-pay or pay-as-you-go electricity meter.
Your electricity supplier can tell you how you’ll get the discount if you’re eligible, for example a voucher you can use to top up your meter.
You qualify for the discount if on 10 July 2018 all of the following applied:
- your electricity supplier was part of the scheme
- your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill
- you were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well)
If you don’t qualify
You may be able to apply directly to your electricity supplier for help if you don’t get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit but:
- you’re on a low income
- you get certain means-tested benefits
Check with your supplier to see if you’re eligible and how to apply.
The following suppliers are part of the scheme:
- Angelic Energy – see Robin Hood Energy
- Atlantic – see SSE
- Boost – see OVO
- Bristol Energy – only if you’re eligible for the ‘core group’
- British Gas
- Bulb Energy
- Citizen Energy – see Robin Hood Energy
- Co-operative energy
- Ebico – see Robin Hood Energy
- EDF Energy
- First Utility
- GB Energy – see Co-operative energy
- Great North Energy – see Robin Hood Energy
- Green Star/Hudson
- Liverpool Energy Community Company (LECCy) – see Robin Hood Energy
- Lumo – see OVO
- Manweb – see Scottish Power
- M&S Energy – see SSE
- Our Power – only if you’re eligible for the ‘core group’
- Powershop – see npower
- Ram Energy – see Robin Hood Energy
- Robin Hood Energy – only if you’re eligible for the ‘core group’
- Sainsbury’s Energy – see British Gas
- Scottish Gas – see British Gas
- Scottish Hydro – see SSE
- Southern Electric – see SSE
- Spark Energy – closed – see advice from Ofgem
- SWALEC – see SSE
- Utility Warehouse
- White Rose Energy – see Robin Hood Energy
- Your Energy Sussex – see Robin Hood Energy
How to claim
If you qualify for the discount, you’ll get a letter this autumn or winter telling you either:
- you don’t have to apply – you’ll get the discount automatically
- to apply by 28 February 2019 – the letter will tell you why and how
You’ll receive your letter by 16 December at the latest.
If you don’t get a letter
Contact the Warm Home Discount Team if you don’t get a letter but believe you qualify.
Warm Home Discount Scheme
Telephone: 0345 603 9439
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
Warm Home Discount Team
If you don’t qualify for the discount